Enter Product Code PACPGR16

pacha mama
pinot gris 2016

Beautifully versatile with pear, rose petals and a hint of spice. It's all about texture; silky smooth with fresh quince flavours and a crisp mineral finish.

1 x Bottle/s $ 21 .50
1 x 12 Pack $ 245 .00

Grapes
100% Pinot Gris.

District of Origin of Grapes
100% Central Victoria and Upper Goulburn.

Vinification
Fruit was harvested at optimal ripeness and chilled to reduce oxidation. Juice was left on skins for a few hours to gently extract a touch of rose colour and depth of flavour on the palate. After pressing, the juice was inoculated, 80% was transferred to French oak barriques for fermentation, then left on lees and stirred regularly for added complexity and texture. The remaining 20% was cool fermented in stainless steel to capture the delicate aromatic notes of the fruit.

Oak Maturation
80% fermentation and maturation in old French oak barriques for 3 months.

Analysis
Alcohol 13.85%
Acid 6.92g/L
pH 3.22
Sugar 2.35g/L

Colour
Bright with a hint of rose gold.

Nose
Rich and inviting with white musk, fresh quince and honeysuckle.

Palate
A generous and textural palate, with flavours of crème brulee, lemon zest and musk, balanced by refreshing acidity and a satisfying, clean finish.

Food Match
Drink with friends and lovers over a Sichuan yak’s pizzle. For the less adventurous, try a rolled pork loin stuffed with caramelised shallots and fennel, served with a crisp salad of fresh pear, baby spinach and lightly toasted macadamia nuts.

Winemakers Comments
Sourced from a single vineyard site in the Strathbogie Ranges, ideally suited to growing aromatic and balanced pinot gris. The cool nights here allow the fruit to reach optimum ripeness whilst retaining an elegant balance between flavour, alcohol and acidity. This wine underwent lees stirring while in barrel, resulting in a buttery richness and complexity that sets the pinot gris style apart from the tighter, more acidic pinot grigio.

     

PDF Tasting Notes

PDF Reviews

RECIPE

fire up the wok
and sizzle a yak’s pizzle!

Sichuan yak’s pizzle, pacha style

This may not be the standard weeknight fare for most Aussies, but in many Asian cultures, pizzle along with other esoteric body parts, is considered a delicacy and is said to enhance the corresponding body parts of the people who eat them.

The beauty of this rich stew recipe is that it not only goes brilliantly with our pinot gris, but it is super flexible, so you can add an assortment of vegetables and herbs to suit your taste.

So fire up the wok, and let’s get that pizzle on the sizzle!

1 well endowed yak’s pizzle
(or beef if yak is hard to come by)

1/4 cup shallots

4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced

1 cup Pacha Pinot Gris

2 tablespoons coriander

Cumin to taste

Thyme to taste

Cracked pepper to taste

Olive oil

1. Place the yak’s pizzle in a bowl large enough for it to lie flat. Cover with boiling water. Let sit for a minute then lift out with tongs to cool.

2. Slice the pizzle open along its length and remove the urethra, which is a long, thin tube. Rinse the sliced area thoroughly in running water for at least one minute.

3. Put the pizzle in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil, skimming off any sediment that rises to the top with a slotted spoon.

4. Put the lid on the pot and boil pizzle for 10 minutes, before pouring into a colander to drain and cool.

5. Coat the bottom of a deep skillet or wok with a thin layer of olive oil and heat to medium-high.

6. When oil is heated, add shallots and garlic.

7. Cook until shallots are soft and the garlic turns golden.

8. Slice the pizzle into bite-sized portions, then add to the shallots and garlic. Fry for 3-5 minutes, turning the pizzle once to ensure both sides are evenly cooked.

9. Pour the pinot gris into the skillet, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any bits of browned meat or vegetables on the bottom of the skillet.

10. Season the pizzle with cracked pepper, cumin and thyme to taste. Add enough water to cover the pizzle and bring to the boil.

11. Cover the skillet and turn the heat down to a gentle simmer. Cook for at least 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure that the liquid has not reduced too much. Add a little more water and wine if it has.

12. Sprinkle the contents of the skillet with coriander and serve.

Note #1: Never cook Yak’s pizzle without removing the urethra and rinsing the pizzle well.
Note #2: For a hearty stew, add cooked cubed potatoes to the pizzle at the end.